Paleo Bacon and Brussels Dinner
Not a big fan of brussel sprouts? Well, you will be after you try them cooked in bacon grease. Promise.
Serving size: 2
1 pound brussel sprouts
4 slices nitrate free uncured bacon
1.5-2 pounds hormone free chicken breast
2 slices red onion
Pepper to taste
- Season your chicken breast with pepper and cook it however you want. You can pan fry it in coconut oil or bake it. Then, chop it up into bite sized chunks and set aside
- Prepare your brussel sprouts. First, cut off the stems (are those considered stems?). Then, slice the brussel the long way. If they’re particularly large brussels, go ahead and cut in half again. Then, place them in a pot of water and boil until they turn a vibrant green.
- While you’re waiting on your brussels to cook, cook your bacon in a large pan, preferably with a rim. Once bacon is crisp, take out of pan and set aside but keep all of your bacon grease.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer your cooked brussel sprouts to the pan with hot bacon grease and turn up the heat to high. Try and turn as many brussels as possible facing down so the inside can soak up as much bacon grease as possible. Fry them on high for about 2 minutes til you really hear them start to sizzle then turn heat down to low-medium.
- Add the sliced or chopped (your choice) onion to the pan and let them cook with the brussels while they continue to soak up that grease.
- Once everything is cooked in the grease and your brussels have a nice brown look to them, add the chicken to the pan and crumble up your cooked bacon to top.